Andy Cuffe

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 15:08:21 -0400, "itsme"
wrote:

I have a HP Pavilion N5440 laptop. I have been having a problem with my
screen. It seems like the hinges are loose or something. The screen will
flicker or go black. But if I prop it against the wall it will stay on. So I
feel like the connection is loose. Can someone tell me if this can be easily
repaired at little cost? I fear if I bring it into CompUSA they will tell me
I need a whole new screen, which will be the cost of a new laptop. The fact
that the screen works all the time except if I move it away from the wall
makes me think the screen is fine.
I appreciate any advise.

It sounds like the cable that connects the screen to the motherboard
is failing. They frequently develop cracks after several years of
flexing each time the lid is opened or closed. It can be a pain to
replace, but won't require a new screen. If the screen goes dark, but
you can still see the image when you ****e a bright light at the
screen, then it's the cable to the back light inverter. If the screen
still prodused some light, but goes blank it's the cable to the LCD.
Andy Cuffe