k_teppo

Andy Cuffe wrote in message . ..
I bought a used large capacity paper feeder for my hp Laserjet 4
printer. It worked ok for a while, but now it jams 9 times out of 10.
The paper falls about 1/2" short of hitting the first feed roller
inside the printer. I've cleaned all the rollers in the large
capacity feeder and it's made absolutely no difference. The pickup
roller looks good (better than the one for the regular paper try which
never jams). I've tried new paper, tried it half full and completely
full. It still almost always jams. Anyone have any ideas?
Andy Cuffe

Andy,

Have a look at the tray balancer mechanism. There is an arrow on the
tray and a "floating" arrow on the mechanism. The arrows should be
pointing at each other. Sometimes debris can get under the pivoting
part of the tray and it'll bind, causing a no-feed paper jam.

"Reconditioning" the roller is usually good only for troubleshooting
purposes and never lasts long-term. A new roller for that tray runs
about $10, a worthwhile investment if everything else is in good
working order. I just use tap water and a nice abrasive cheap paper
towel.

I hope this info helps!
-k