Markmon

On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 00:47:13 +0100, chris French
wrote:

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 19:23:31 +0000, Markmon wrote:

It has been suggested that we get an electrical inspection done on a
house we are thinking of buying.

Is this a good idea anyway or is the estate agent just covering his
back?

I guess this is case of if you need to ask the question.....

True enough.

The electric in this house were obviously in a poor way when we bought
it, a little bit of nosing around confirmed that. but an inspection was
pretty irrelevant because it was obvious it would need rewiring.

On the surface the everything look ok - new consumer unit, fittings,
etc.

I suspect that they are most useful in older (say 20 years) houses
where the electric's might look superficially ok, but there has been
plenty of scope for mods of varying proficiency to have been carried
out.

It's a 50s semi which has been altered and extended over the years.
We've got a structural survey on the place booked for Wednesday, and
I'll get an electrical inspection done now as well.

Thanks.

Mark