Chuck Harris

Andy Cuffe wrote:
I bought a used large capacity paper feeder for my hp Laserjet 4
printer. It worked ok for a while, but now it jams 9 times out of 10.
The paper falls about 1/2" short of hitting the first feed roller
inside the printer. I've cleaned all the rollers in the large
capacity feeder and it's made absolutely no difference. The pickup
roller looks good (better than the one for the regular paper try which
never jams). I've tried new paper, tried it half full and completely
full. It still almost always jams. Anyone have any ideas?
Andy Cuffe

Andy,

Get yourself a can of WD40, and a paper towel. Spray some
WD40 onto the towel to form a wet spot. Rub the wet spot
all over the pickup roller until it is completely shiny.

Turn on your printer and it will feed perfectly for the
next few years.

Paper jams on HP laserjet 3/4/5 printers are almost
always caused by a good looking takeup roller that cannot
grip the paper. The symptom of that problem is 100% of the
time the paper not quite reaching the first feed roller.

Using WD40 sounds counter intuitive, but it works! It took
a great leap of faith for me to try it the first time (on the
recommendation of a friend who deals in surplus printers), but
I did, and it works perfectly.

-Chuck Harris