Chuck

On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 16:08:45 GMT, "Stephen"
wrote:

Thanks Chuck for the great response from which I learned a few things.

Happy to help.

Since you mentioned the red streak within, it tells me you are quite
familiar with this wood as well

I have about 3 cords of it in my yard.

the red was a different surprise for me.

LOL...very funny stuff!

Probably the biggest issue for me wanting to turn the branch from endgrain
is that the round blanks are as big as my lathe will handle, and I can cut
any length (bowl depth) that I want, including screw attachments to my
faceplate, but splitting the branch and turning a half or a quarter will
reduce the possible depth of the workpiece considerably.

Indeed so, but if you insist on turning them that way, try doing one
on the side grain first, using a half-piece, and then do an end grain
piece and see which one you like first, both for workability and the
end product.

But, whichever you finally decide to do, have fun with it!

--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget