Ken

"chris French" wrote in message
1 -Trays
Usually, shower trays taper slightly, so if you tile then fit the tray,
you
will have quite a big gap to seal. OTOH, if you fit the tray then tile, it
will be easire to seal the join but you will have to be sure the tray is
level

You'd install shower tray and nor ensure it was level....? :-)

Not always practicable, and the out of level we're talking about here is
maybe a couple of millimetres. Not enough to upset the draining of the tray
but enough to look odd with level tiles. Also, cheaper trays are not always
straight on the top edge - or on the bottom, come to that! (Also true for at
least one not-so-cheap wc pan we bought, which meant the seat didn't touch
on all its little rubber feet, and that b*gg*red the hinges in short
order...)

or have a tapering gap.

Even if ti wasn't quite level, it's be a small taper, if it was that bad
i'd trim the tiles to the gap.

I tiled to about 2cm below the top of the
tray then fitted the tray and put squidgit in the gap

I think it's much better from a POV of waterproofing to fit the tray first

2 - Enclosures.
If you fit the enclosure then tile, you will have to cut the tiles and
seal
the gap - fiddly.

Also hard to seal the gap as the makers intended, as you can't bed the
enclosure back against the wall.

Yes. I tiled, fitted the enclosure tight back to the tiles and the door
wouldn't seal, so I had to pack the enclosure away from the tiles at the
'low' spots and seal the gap. Messy!

tile then fit enclosure. There will be a gap to be hidden most likely.
Use some sort of trim strip (I used chromed tile edging for mine) to hide
it.

Never thought of that! I have a rather variable bead of silicone...