Sam

(Graham) wrote in message . com...
We have been given two contradictory opinions for the floor/base of a
conservatory. One company says we need a suspended floor and that it
would be 'ridiculous' to put in a solid concrete floor - because the
height from ground to floor level is 85cm. The other says they never
use wood because of expansion problems. The solid concrete floor would
be insulated and both would have ducts in for airbricks on the side of
the house.

A typical break point between suspended and ground bearing slabs is if
the required fill is more or less than 600mm. How much topsoil/poor
ground has to be removed will obviously affect this - with domestic
building the ground pressures under a slab are low and so differential
settlement w.r.t. the walls is the main criteria.

Both types of floor slab are fine - but as someone else said, if you
use a suspended floor I would have a think about using a beam and
block floor.