Edwin Pawlowski

"jtpr" wrote in message
news:1096835894.eYlvSgVjg6IsV/Z5Ix8+Lw@teranews...
.. I felt it was dangerous to stand directly behind
it. We both use those long notched push sticks.

It can be danerous. You are safer off to the left if something comes flying
back.

I rarely use the ong pushstick you describe. Mine has a handle that I
traced from a hand saw and the top sits on the wood about 6". Very firm to
grip and good pressure on the wood going through the blade.

Also, he cuts thin strips with the waste side between the fence and the
blade. So if he wanted to rip a 1" piece off a 6" board, he would have
the
5" side between the fence and the blade. I do it in reverse. I never
really thought about it. How do you guys do it? Which is safer/better?

I cut down to about 3/4" with the good part to the fence. Much narrower,
I'm not comfortable.

I made a block of wood with a screw head on the side. The block has a strip
on the bottom and fits in the left miter slot. The screw is adjustable so I
can measure from the blade to the position for a thin strip. That way I can
move the fence in after every cut and get a consistent thin strip[ and not
have to measure each time.
--
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome