Rick Dipper

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 22:13:44 +0100, "MGA"
wrote:

Dear all,
as part of my garage conversion I have been asked by the building control
officer to fix studs to the wall, add insulation, a vapour barrier and
plasterboard. It's a single brick wall and it has piers every 1.5 meters
more or less. That means that I need to get quite deep studs to provide an
even surface for the plasterboard. I have the battens ready, they are 15 by
5 centimetres, but being so deep, what is the best way to fix them to the
wall?

I can't just screw them because I can't find screws long enough. I've
thought about fixing thinner studs to the wall horizontally and them skew
nail the studs to them vertically. Another option would be to fix them using
some kind of metal brackets.

What is the best way to do this?

Thanks in advance!

MGA

Do you need to fix it to the wall ?

Why not just make a new wall neer the brick one, from 2*3, just like a
partition wall. Then you fix to floor, ceiling, and edge. The VB can
be stapled to the back of the wall somehow, and the insulation should
just slot in.

Rick