Stefek Zaba

Rick Dipper wrote:

If you take a look under the floor in the data center of most large
companies, you will find miles of all types of cables just chucked
under there, no trunking, no labels, no neetness. When you stop using
a cable, you just cut the ends off and leave it down there. Now some
new places do it all neet, but I have never seen one stay that way for
long.

I'm sure some places do get that way; whether it's "most" is not
something I have enough data on. I know that *our* computer room
and office underfloors do keep the Cat5 runs quite neat and separated
from the 240VAC - the Cat5 (of which there really is rather a lot:
80-100 cubicle-placement-opportunities per floor, floodwired with 8+
Cat5 ports each, and more for the machine rooms in the central area
of each floor!) runs on chromed-wire cable trays, loosely cable-tied
in place. The 240VAC feeds run lower, with singles running in closed
galvanised trunking, feeding floorports either directly or through
Klik-style sockets. There's vertical separation between 'em (the
mains trunking sits on the underfloor, the Cat5 trays are on stands,
so that the two can cross without needing to change levels), there
aren't many places where the two run parallel for long; and the lighting
runs (oddly enough) in the suspended ceiling rather'n down below. It's
a bit more of a mess up there, though the clear intention is that the
lighting wiring runs on cable tray - but there's door-security cabling,
some CCTV, and other stuff which various contractors have added with
not as much neatness as the building services people would like ;-)

Stefek