Richard Porter

On 3 Oct 2004 (Quigs) wrote:

Just about to replace the TV aerial at home as the current one isn't
quite up to the job for the freeview signal, (have to boost it).

Is your aerial outside? If not just relocating it may solve the problem.

There seem to be a wide array of aerials available, and they say for
strong signal areas, or weak signal areas etc. Is there anyway I can
find out what type of area I am officially in - GU24, or should I just
buy a weak signal area like at
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MXD48.html, because it covers all
the bases?!

Don't buy a sensitive aerial if you don't need it. I haven't got an
up-to-date catalogue but the one I have gives you a choice of 18
element or 43 element aerials in different band groups. Ask the local
TLC branch (Guildford) which one you need.

Also what is the most appropriate co-ax to use - as I am building my
extension I need to wire to all my new rooms, but should I use just
standard co-ax as at
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...xial_and_Satel
lite/index.html or is there a better alternative?

You don't need satellite cable. Just get standard low loss 75 ohm co-ax
which is available in white or brown. However you should be thinking
about getting a distribution amplifier if you want to serve several
receivers at once.

I would take the main aerial feed to the digital terrestrial receiver
(DTR) and video recorder (VCR/DVD/ect.) and then feeding the output
signal via the distribution amplifier to all the rooms. That way you
can watch digital channels and pre-recorded material on analogue TVs
without having to buy lots of extra kit. You'll only need to tune the
TVs to the output channels of the DTR, DVD player/recorder and VRC as
appropriate.

--
Richard Porter
Mail to username ricp at domain minijem.plus.com