On 3 Oct 2004 07:32:39 -0700, (Eric Anderson)
wrote:

"Mike Hide" wrote in message news:Gkq7d.398899$8_6.105424@attbi_s04...
yabbutt.... what size is the jointer?

Same as the makita 6"....mjh

Jointer/planer combos that exist have been brought up several times.
My whole point was price and width of the jointer.

Why do these combo machines not make use of the wider planer blade
that is available (I have never seen them up close, so the reason may
be obvious).

I can understand that a combo machine might be difficult to make at a
pricepoint that would be competitive to a 6" jointer and planer combo.
Such a machine should sell for under $800 in order to be comparible
to buying both machines (between $350-$400 for planer, $400-$450 for
jointer).

Still think a jointer built around the idea of the portable planer
that is around 10" would be a good companion to the portable planers
of today. Such a machine should have a pricepoint around the cast
iron 6" jointer. Dewalt seems like the company that would come up
with such a product. Hey, Dewalt--just send the royality checks to my
Paypal account.

you're talking about a machine that is jointer only? so you'd end up
with a 12 to 14" jointer with short sheetmetal tables, probably a
benchtop machine. this might be a good place to use the parallelogram
configuration of some of the newer delta and griz machines. it'll be
hella loud and obnoxious for a jointer, and with the small diameter
cutterhead will be hard to get smooth surfaces on handheld boards.
interesting idea, though....