mac davis

On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 02:27:29 -0400, Greg G. wrote:

you could probably do a better job of this than I did, so here's an
idea for you:

I got spoiled by the laser in the cutoff saw and wanted one on my
RAS... $65 for a saw blade laser was unacceptable...
I had a $10 laser "picture hanger" (useless) from HF that I took apart
and mounted in pieces on the arm of the RAS... It projects a red line
across the table, through the blade path...
Not very well done and NOT pretty, but it works.. kind of a PITA to
have to turn it on/off though, I'm spoiled be the one on the cuttoff..

With your background, I'd be very interested in what you come up
with... please keep me/us posted!

Greetings,

Well, I missed the unadvertised sale on the Delta 36-255L saw at Lowes
for $229, wasn't all that impressed by the bevel scale on it anyway,
and already own a pretty good 12" CMS already.

I AM interested in adding a laser guide to the CMS however. I like
the looks of the LaserKerf, but those ridiculous blade mounted laser
washers are a joke. Either way, I'm not ready to pony up $60 - $80
for a glorified laser pointer. But to be sure, I'm tired of trying to
manually line up the blade with a cut line.

Being an electronics designer and pretty crafty at such mechanical
things, I am pondering the prospect of gutting a $10.00 laser level,
building a small AC power supply for it, and mounting it on the saw.
Blade alignment mechanisms are not a problem, and the whole assembly
could be potted in epoxy when completed.

I could use a standard $5.00 pointer, but would have to add a
cylindrical glass refractor to make the dot into a line. This would
work, but requires precision gluing of the assembly. The gutted laser
level would be much simpler as I can pick up a cheap one for $10.00.

The whole job should take about 2 hours of free time and a few junk
box electronic parts.

Has anyone tried this, and how did it work out?

Greg G.

Mac