Minnie Bannister

What's there now is just an opening without jamb or casing -- just the
studs.

MB

Whether you vote Democrat or Republican in November, the country will
still be run from boardrooms in the USA and elsewhere, not by your
elected representatives.

On 10/03/04 10:31 am Edwin Pawlowski put fingers to keyboard and
launched the following message into cyberspace:

I bought a 36" pre-hung door, thinking that was what I needed to fit an
existing 36 1/4" opening that never had a door. About 2 minutes away from
home, with the door lashed to the top of the car, it suddenly occurred to
me that maybe the door itself was 36" wide, and the frame was extra, so I
checked before unloading the door and found that it's 37 1/2" wide overall.

If I simply discard the frame with which the pre-hung door came, how
difficult would it be to hang the door in the existing opening, and how
much money am I likely to be wasting by having bought a pre-hung door
rather than a "bare" door? --

Probably very little wasted money. Bigger question though, what is in the
door frame now? Is it trim that can be removed to allow the pre-hung to go
in place? Was there ever a door there? Was it framed to allow for a
pre-hung door?

It may be as simple as removing the existing trim, put the door casing in
place, then finish the trim work. I can't see what you have so I can't give
any details. If you use the bard door you will have to add doorstop, latch
holes, etc.