GaryRW

The big problem is that only a limited time, if any, of the shingle
warranty is transferred to a new owner. It's like a muffler warranty.
Because of this limitation, it's not even very valuable in resale value.

Certainteed offers their SureStart Plus warranty that offers 100% of the
cost of materials, labor, disposal, workmanship, etc for 15 yrs and it is
transferrable 100% to the first new owner. However, after the 15 yrs is
up only an additional 2 yrs of the remaining 15 yrs is in effect. By the
way, this SureStart Plus Warranty is a work and material warranty
independent of contractor. So if your roofer goes bust, you still have
coverage. It is only available through only some Certainteed certified
roofers. This was introduced because the public's general view of roofers
is that they are highly suspect. New roofing contractors can compete with
established reputable roofers by offering this SureStart Plus Warranty.
Only a very few roofers hold this level of certification.

I'm sure other shingle manufacturers will have similar warranties, if not
already.

On 20 Sep 2004 19:10:15 GMT, Greg wrote:

I don't know anyonme who actually saw a dime from a shingle warranty.
Responsible roofing companies have come through but the homeowner usually
doesn't get much from the manufacturer.