Martin Pentreath

Default Using combi in stored hot water system

Now I know I'm on dangerous ground here, and I really don't want to
unleash combi war, round 481, but I would be interested in answers to
this.

I have a combi which works very happily - an Ariston Microgenus 27kW.
It's a perfectly good combi, but I'm toying with the idea of having a
pressurised cylinder installed to provide for stored hot water at
mains pressure. Before I get Mr Plumber in to suck his teeth and
declare the whole system to be in need of ripping out, is there any
reason why the combi can't be used to provide stored hot water in this
way? My primitive understanding of combis is that they are
conventional boilers, with an additional heat exchanger bolted on
which provides the hot-water-on-demand function. Presumably my scheme
would render the secondary heat exchanger redundant and I would just
be using the primary heat exchanger to provide central heating and hot
water as a conventional boiler would. Is this about right?

Martin