Dave Liquorice

On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 10:19:32 +0100, wrote:

Is it necessary to switch tariff before changing suppliers?

Donno. But trying to switch suppliers and tarrif at the same time
strikes me as asking for trouble. Having just switched I don't have a
great deal of confidence in the process, it worked but the amount of
conflicting snail and email I got was not good.

I am currently on economy 7 and I believe the break even to justify
the higher daytime rate is that at least 30% of all units used
should be night time, I am now well under this.

I did the sums via a spreadsheet on Norweb E7 figures a while back the
break even point once you where above a total of 15 units/day was
under 25% to be used at night rate. Dropping to 23% at 20 total
units/day and a tad above 22% at 25 total units/day.

I think Dave L posted that there was no disadvantage in the tariffs
with no standing charge but a possible (albeit unlikely) advantage
if you used less than the higher rate allocation in the billing
period,

Not that unlikely, two of the meters here use f'all electricity as the
parts of the building they feed are unoccupied. Leaving them with
PowerGens new no standing charge tarrif will save =A350/year. Though I
really ought to check the E7 one... For an occupied place I agree it
is unlikely that you will save anything. You'd have to be using less
than an average of 2 or 3 units/day.

... do all suppliers use the same maths in allocating a higher rate
to offset the loss of standing charge?

I'd say yes but I've not looked at all the myriad of tarrifs from the
umpteen suppliers out there. Use a few of the "switch your utility"
sites to see what they turn up as good suppliers then look at the
tarrifs and plug the figures into a spread sheet to do the maths.

--
Cheers

Dave. pam is missing e-mail