Minnie Bannister

Default Doors: sizes, and hanging them

I bought a 36" pre-hung door, thinking that was what I needed to fit an
existing 36 1/4" opening that never had a door. About 2 minutes away
from home, with the door lashed to the top of the car, it suddenly
occurred to me that maybe the door itself was 36" wide, and the frame
was extra, so I checked before unloading the door and found that it's 37
1/2" wide overall.

Obviously I could just take the door back without having to do a whole
lot of extra handling, but it seems that the next smaller size is 32"
rather than 34" and would be too narrow.

If I simply discard the frame with which the pre-hung door came, how
difficult would it be to hang the door in the existing opening, and how
much money am I likely to be wasting by having bought a pre-hung door
rather than a "bare" door? -- The prehung doors were on sale, but I
couldn't see what the regular price was; the "bare" doors did not seem
to be on sale, but I didn't look at them, so I have no idea of the price.

Other suggestions?

--
MB

Whether you vote Democrat or Republican in November, the country will
still be run from boardrooms in the USA and elsewhere, not by your
elected representatives.