Rick Cook

J T wrote:

OT bad experience today

Group: rec.woodworking Date: Sat, Oct 2, 2004, 10:18am (EDT-1)
(Swingman) says:
snip I had my right hand completely bitten through by a pit bull
snip

I've seen videos of them blowing out tires on vehicles (people
taking refuge in them), so the dogs took it out on the tires.

struggling to get my right hand from those jaws snip

A lot of days late, and several dollars short, but kicking it in
the stomach, or other areas, might have done it. But, getting your hand
bitten, and thinking clearly enough to remember something like that,
might not go together.

but to me there is no reason a sane individual would own one of these
dogs, particularly in an urban environment. They are anti-social assault
weapons, and no other animal, child, or human is ultimately safe around
one,

That seems to be the reason most people own them.

Actually no. Most people own them because they are fun dogs and they're
so friendly they're almost goofy. There are a few people who want a
four-legged assault weapon and train and socialize their dogs accordingly.
Like I say, a pit bull's major drive is to please its owner. And there are
some people out there who shouldn't be allowed to own a goldfish.

That's the reason I find these fairy tales about pit bulls so infuriating.
(And you may have noticed I've gotten a, ah, 'trifle heated' over this.)
This nonsense about 'anti-social assault weapons' is so completely at odds
with the breed's real personality.

--RC
snip

JOAT
We will never have great leaders as long as we mistake education for
intelligence, ambition for ability, and lack of transgression for
integrity.
- Unknown