J T

OT bad experience today

Group: rec.woodworking Date: Sat, Oct 2, 2004, 10:18am (EDT-1)
(Swingman) says:
snip I had my right hand completely bitten through by a pit bull
snip

I've seen videos of them blowing out tires on vehicles (people
taking refuge in them), so the dogs took it out on the tires.

struggling to get my right hand from those jaws snip

A lot of days late, and several dollars short, but kicking it in
the stomach, or other areas, might have done it. But, getting your hand
bitten, and thinking clearly enough to remember something like that,
might not go together.

but to me there is no reason a sane individual would own one of these
dogs, particularly in an urban environment. They are anti-social assault
weapons, and no other animal, child, or human is ultimately safe around
one,

That seems to be the reason most people own them.

except for the owner.

Sometimes.

To let one run loose in an urban situation, even accidentally, is akin
to assault with a deadly weapon and should be treated as such.

Got to go along with that. I like dogs in general, but tend to
draw the line at those little yapping rat dogs, and the ones willing to
try to eat me.

Waay back, when I was a kid, I used to read a lot of books on
hunting in Africa. I remember one, a hunter remained in camp, and was
shaving his head (he didn't like going bald), and was attached by a
leopard. He wound up with one fist in the leopard's mouth, and
eventully killed it. I don't recall if he strangled it (well, actually
I think it was shoving his fist down its throat, which changed its
concenration on trying to get away, from killing the guy), or cut its
throat, with his straight razor. Supposedly that was the only known
case of anyone killing a leopard with his bare-hands. This was in the
20s or 30s, I think.

I took a quick look on google, to see if I could come up with it.
Instead, came up with this. It doesn't exactly seem true, to me. I
can't imagine anyone getten chewed up by a leopard, and wanting someone
to film it.
THE ARTFUL DODGER
The records of accidents with leopards are high. Most of the well-known
professional hunters of recent years have all been savaged by leopards,
and many of the old-timers, too. Foremost was Charles Cottar, who
strangled a live leopard with his bare hands. Whilst doing so, he had
one of his sons turn the handle of the movie camera! On seeing his
father pouring blood from the deep scratches the leopard was inflicting
upon him, his son stopped turning the hand

Came from here.
http://www.sycamoreisland.com/biggame2.htm

This name seems familar to me, but in the story I read, the guy was
suppoedly in camp alone.

JOAT
We will never have great leaders as long as we mistake education for
intelligence, ambition for ability, and lack of transgression for
integrity.
- Unknown