Rick Cook

Swingman wrote:

"Jay Knepper" wrote in message

To make the bald statement that "...those pit-bulls are nasty

creatures..."
is wrong.

See my other post on the subject.

In which you displayed both prejudice and a near complete ignorance.

It is smart to be cautious about any dog. Large, athletic breeds

especially
can do damage if they have been trained to do so.

Not true at all of the pit bull

True of any dog.

.. inarguably, the pit bull does not have to
be "trained to do so" ... it was bred _specifically_ "to do so".

Wrong again. While terriers in general tend to be aggressive toward other
animals, pit bulls have to be very specifically trained to fight. Some of the
training methods are pretty horrendous.

Too the contrary, as general rule thay have to be trained NOT to do so

No. Like any terrier they need to be socialized around other dogs, cats, etc.
But they do NOT have to be trained not to attack them. The statement simply
demonstrates further your lack of knowledge.

... a
circumstance I don't necessarily relish with the number of idiots running
loose in this culture, and certainly not one I would rely upon to safeguard
my dogs, or even the children in the neighborhood, particularly if they are
walking a dog.

I like dogs, have been around them all my life, and have owned many breeds
... I've yet to see a dog with the propensity, and the tools/physique
necessary, to do "damage" to another dog, or human if they get in the way.

Then you haven't been around many medium to large dog breeds.

--RC

You can argue all you want, and I would own another pit bull ... but not in
an urban setting, and damn sure not without kicking my umbrella policy up a
few more million.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04