LRod

Default Bush dishonestly spinning Kerry's debate statements

On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 23:18:51 GMT, rllipham
wrote:

Twenty years ago the South was Democrat. How can we trust those
guys? They are just a bunch of flip-floppers.

Actually, in political terms, not party terms, the South has always
tended to be conservative. Landed gentry and all that. However, when
the post war reconstruction started with republican carpet baggers
(appointed by the party of Lincoln but with the liberal anti-slavery
sentiment and to-the-victor righteousness) flooding the South, taking
over the government, and offending almost every tenet the citizens
held dear, the southerners rebelled the only way they could by taking
the opposing political side on the ballot: the Democratic Party.

As the carpet baggers were eventually driven out it continued to be
politically expedient to register and vote Democratic if you wanted to
get into public office.

That lasted almost 100 years until Lyndon Johnson strongarmed the
Civil Rights Act of 1964 through Congress, a decidedly unconservative
piece of legislation. Even he said at the time that the passage of
that act would turn the "traditionally Democratic" south over to the
republicans for a long time.

Turncoats like Strom Thurmond and others were only able to come out of
the conservative closet as part of that backlash.

We're still paying the price 40 years later.

And you're right: how can you trust those guys?

- -
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net