Luigi Zanasi

On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 18:32:56 -0500, "Swingman"
scribbled:

I am frequently having to do this particular calculation, months apart, and
have to rebuild the wheel each time. Today I attempted to write the damn
thing down as a formula so I could make an Excel spreadsheet for my own use.

The following, in a spreadsheet, worked twice for me today, but there is
likely a better/easier way?

A formula for spacing a given number of same width slats/spindles evenly
between two points:

X = (S - (W*N))/(N + 1)

whe

X = spacing in inches
S = Space to be filled with slats of a desired width
W = Desired width of slat
N = Number of slats desired

Your corrections/better ideas are more than welcome ... the older I get, the
more I am just looking for a way to getting back to making sawdust faster.

Instead of calculating W*N, measure it. If you've got lots of
spindles/slats, it's easy to screw you up if there is the slightest
inaccuracy in the measurement of the width of slats/spindles. Put all
your slats/spindles next to each other & measure the width. Then
divide by the number of slats/spindles plus one to get the spacing.

Luigi
Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/antifaq.html
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/humour.html