Set Square

Marcus Fox wrote:

Without additional support at the front, the shelf is in danger of
sagging in the middle. I would support it with a length of 1.5"
steel angle, going right across the alcove with the ends supported
by the side battens. If desired, you could put a lip downwards from
the front of the shelf to hide the angle.

Where can I get this angle from? Do they cut to size or would I have
to do it myself?

Marcus

You can get it from a steel stockist. Do you have a branch of Metal
Supermarket near you? They are apparently happy to sell small quantities.

Otherwise, find a bit a scrap. I've got quite a lot in my garage which came
from old metal bed frames. If I were doing it, it'd get a piece of this, cut
it to length with a hacksaw, drill and countersink some screw holes in it,
paint it and screw it to the shelf.
--
Cheers,
Set Square