Rick Cook

Mark Hopkins wrote:

"Swingman" wrote in message

[......]

I am generally of a live and let live philosophy on most issues, but to me
there is no reason a sane individual would own one of these dogs,
particularly in an urban environment. They are anti-social assault

weapons,
and no other animal, child, or human is ultimately safe around one, except
for the owner.

To let one run loose in an urban situation, even accidentally, is akin to
assault with a deadly weapon and should be treated as such.

This is like saying anyone who uses Dewalt tools is a poor woodworker
without knowing anything about them.

Not exactly. It's more like saying anyone who has a high-powered shaper and
misuses it is a poor woodworker.

I've never owned a pit bull, but I have several friends who have them and I've
spent a lot of time around them. I have found them to be loving, affectionate,
even-tempered and easy to handle. What's more, any sign of aggressiveness
towards humans was systematically bred out of them. They are outstanding dogs.

But they are outstanding dogs in exactly the same way a powerful shaper is an
outstanding tool. If you do not know what you're doing, the consequences of
having one can be pretty horrendous.

Pit bulls are extremely strong and very, very quick dogs. While aggression
towards humans was bred out, they have the normal terrier aggressiveness toward
other animals their size or smaller. They need to be carefully socialized to
both humans and animals. Further, they require owners who understand them, will
work with them, discipline them wisely and above all keep them under
psychological control.

Having watched several people raise them from puppies, I firmly believe pit
bulls, rewarding as they are, are not dogs for novices.

Beyond this, pit bulls have a bad reputation and are discriminated against
because of it. Many animal control departments, humane societies, etc., will
automatically euthanize any pit bills they acquire. If the dog is running free
(which is a strong condemnation of any dog owner) animal control will typically
keep it for, say, three days and then put it down.

Pit bull owners are also under legal disabilities. If the dog does bite another
animal or a person, there is in effect a strong presumption that the dog is
'vicious' that works against the owner in court. And of course in some places
they are classed as 'dangerous breed' by law and require special bonds,
enclosures, etc. if they will let people keep them at all.

You can argue that this kind of action against pit bulls is another example of
fools confusing the thing with the person behind it. In my opinion you'd be
correct.

But the fact remains that anyone who allows a pit bull to run free (or get into
a situation where they can get free) is a bad owner and should be sanctioned.

--RC

Having owned several dogs of this breed, have found them to be very playful,
loyal, LOVING animals. Nothing vicious about them. My most recent pup sleeps
under a blanket, loves honey buns and is very partial to cherry, but would
never harm anyone unless you looked like a tennis ball or a squirrel. He
even loves cats.

Any dog can be made to be a vicious, anti social assault weapon, even a
chihuahua. It is the owner who trains the animal that is the problem.

[Image]