Ba r r y

On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 19:22:53 -0400, "C & S"
wrote:

Do you think that I will have any luck toning with a tinted wipe-on poly? If
so should I go this a brown, or should I go "past" the intended color to
color to counter the reddish tone of the cherry?

My gut says toning is a better option than stain because there is no scrap
to experiment on and it will let me sneak up on a color.

I'd go the toning route, but not with poly. I'd use shellac, as it's
easy to undo mistakes. Poly's a lot harder to undo. If you want
poly, apply it after the color coats are complete.

Even easier would be tinted spray lacquer (from cans), with barrier
coats of shellac between each toning. The barrier coats would allow
you to back up one step, without going all the way back to the start.

Tinted shellac would be much harder to back up, but all of it could be
easily removed without harm to the surface.

Plain old Seal Coat can be tinted or used as a barrier. Zinnser Clear
spray shellac also makes a great barrier, as it's dewaxed.

Barry