C & S

Default Color match... making cherry the same color as fumed white oak.

I know that it's heresy, but I would like to make some cherry a more of a
medium chocolate brown.

I have put my banister back together with new fumed white oak spindles. I
saved the newels because, although painted, they were in interesting and in
relatively good shape.

I stripped them and I'm fairly sure that they are cherry.

Unfortunately, there are already too many different colors of wood going on
so I just want it to blend. ( know it's never going to look like oak, but if
I could just get close with color I would be happy).

Do you think that I will have any luck toning with a tinted wipe-on poly? If
so should I go this a brown, or should I go "past" the intended color to
color to counter the reddish tone of the cherry?

My gut says toning is a better option than stain because there is no scrap
to experiment on and it will let me sneak up on a color.

I do not have spray equipment, so that's not an option.

Thoughts?

pic posted to abpw