G. Morgan

Someone named (Chet Hayes) Proclaimed on 2 Oct
2004 16:24:49 -0700,

Why wouldn't a monitored security system be able to dial out with
internet phone service? The systems provided by the cable companies
look like just a regular phone line from the phones in the house and
the numbers are dialed the same way.

Taken from the Ademco website FAQ:

Can I use Voice over IP to report alarm signals?
FAQ 23890466
While Voice Over IP (VOIP) has it's place in the world of
communications, it is not yet suitable for traditional Alarm Industry
reporting. ADEMCO's alarm controls are not designed to work on VOIP
whether it's 3+1, 4+2, Contact ID, or any other format our panels
might use. Any attempt to do so is to be taken at your own risk. We
cannot support this mode of communication on our equipment at this
time. The symptoms you might experience would be transmission errors
and/or slow-sounding TouchTones as well as timing errors during
dialing and/or during the message itself.

At the time of this FAQ (5/21/2004) we are working with many cable
companies to help insure that their VOIP implementations are capable
of working correctly.

-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email