William Brown

Default Underwriter's knot

I'm not an electrician, but years ago I was taught to put an
underwriter's knot at the end of the cord when rewiring a lamp or a plug.

I have an extension cord with broken plugs, so I went to our last
independent hardware store here and picked up new plugs made, naturally,
in Mexico. I dutifully tied my underwriter's knots, but when I tried to
get the cover back on the plug it wouldn't fit; there is no space for
the knot. There is a little notch beside the fastening screw so I fed
the wire through that. Is the knot no longer required, or are these
Mexicans trying to burn down my home?
there.