Phisherman

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 11:05:36 -0500, "RonB" wrote:

I was walking through a local tool store today and they had just unpacked a
new Unisaw. The first thing I noticed was the knurled handwheel locks have
now been replaced with some kind of wing nut. They look like someting that
came out of a hardware bin.

Apparently the corporate finance pukes don't get it. Those of us who use
tools daily understand the equipment and what is happening. The function
might still be there but the quality of fine equipment like the Unisaw is
suffering -- and the price continues to go up.

Hmmmm. I wonder if the knurled, plated locks on the Griz will fit?

It's sad. I see all kinds of cost-cutting efforts that sacrifice
quality but Americans love cheap. I bought a Starrett Wade square
last month for $165 (with compass and center finder), yet I know
WalMart has the same thing for $12.95.

I have made all kinds of knobs from scraps of hardwood, make a hex
hole into them, then epoxy a nut into the hold. Makes it much easier
to tighten/loosen.