HorneTD

ECKHARDT wrote:
I like to know what type of experiences others have had Charter phone
service and Charter High-Speed internet. We are going to leave SBC due
to fact that the can not fix cross wire in theier system. BTW we are in
Saint Louis

Thanks for all the help

jim

Jim

Be aware that cable phone service is dependent on electric power for
continuity of service. When you loose electric power you will be
without telephone service. If you put your home equipment on an
Uninterruptible Power Supply, or UPS, then your phone will work for as
long as the UPS battery and the batteries in your cable companies line
amplifiers hold out. Once the line amplifiers' batteries go dead then
there is nothing that you can do to keep your telephone service working.
You should plan to have some sort of back up telephone service. Cell
phones may serve if the cell sites near your home have long duration
batteries or emergency generators. Keeping one telephone line with the
baby bell carrier is another way to assure service. POTS, or plain old
telephone service, is powered by battery current over the copper wires
from the exchange. Even if there is a controlled environment vault
(CEV) between you and the exchange those vaults have seventy two hours
of battery capacity and they are equipped with a portable generator
connection. The baby bells are pretty good at maintaining service
continuity under power failure conditions. For POTS service to work for
you under power failure conditions you must have at least one phone in
your home that does not require electrical power. A cordless phone will
not work without electric power at your home.

In the aftermath of hurricane Isabelle we were without power for eight
days. Our neighbors who had cable telephone service lost their phone
service after the first full day without power. My Verizon service
never faltered. Even my DSL service worked when I powered the modem
from an inverter and connected in my lap top with the battery charged
from a car adapter.
--
Tom H