Wayner

Thanks, Chris. But as I indicated at the beginning, I can no longer get any
heavy equipment to the site. So I am left with doing this chore by hand.
Having a crane at the front of the house and maneuvouring it over to the
rear is far too expensive for something that was supposed to be a lowly
salvage/recycle operation.
Wayne

**
"Chris Lewis" wrote in message
According to Wayner :
Jeez. The more I think about this task the more I'm beginning to wonder
if
it really is worth the effort ..and $$. Salvaging the carport roof was
more of a recycling project that is turning into a new building but with
the
added twist (and cost) of working with an old roof. How many people
construct a building around it's roof ..especially a 16x9 shed?
Perhaps I should really weigh whether it should just be deconstructed and
another built once the walls are up ..or factor all that into it and
postpone or even nix the project.
Another twist is the cost of the concrete for the footings/pads (already
cribbed) will be picked up by the municipality as they are repouring
curbs
on our street later this week and will have extra left over for me. Nice
guys.
So, if anything the pads can be used elsewhere as HD stepping stones ;^\

I think you need to sit back and consider two things:

- does the roof meet your requirements? Or should you abandon
it and start over?

- if it does, it will be _extremely_ unlikely for you to be able
to jury-rig _anything_ to hoist the roof cheaper than a 1-2 hour
visit by a crane.

Heck, even if building "tripods" of 2x4s or steel pipe, or any of the
other
ideas I've seen proposed here would work at all, I don't give two bits for
their safety. I'm convinced that it'd be cheaper to hire a crane than
try cobbling together tripods (the pipe isn't free either) or even
renting scaffolding.

A heck of a lot safer too.

In the scheme of things, 1500 pounds isn't that much. A delivery truck
crane (ie: those used for delivering shingles) could handle it.

The cranes they use for erecting trusses should be able to handle it too,
and they're cheap for short jobs.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est