Leo Van Der Loo

Hi Dan

Yes I think sycamore behaves a lot like beech and it is stronger, I had
be thinking that maybe black and honey locust and also acacia would be
good but I have never used it for kitchen utensils for the thought that
they might start checking after some use, you ever tried them?.
Also hornbeam and hop hornbeam how do they stand up to the repeated
water and drying cycles, there are a lot of woods that do not fare well
under those circumstances, even though one would think they might be
excellent for such use.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Dan Bollinger wrote:

I'm going to be turning some kitchen utensils for Christmas presents and

was

wondering what makes good and durable wood for this. I've thought of

pecan

or walnut but was also wanting a few other types.

Beech or sugar maple.

The original posting is no longer on the server, so I'll reply here. Besides
these two woods one very important 'treen' wood is American Sycamore. This
wood is a favorite for wooden spoons. Sycamore can withstand repeated
immersion in water, even boiling water, without checking when it dries. Dan