Greg G.

Nova said:

Greg, G. wrote:

Just wondering what experienced bandsaw users are using these days for
milling green (recently felled) wood.

I have a Highland Hardware Woodslicer, and although it does a fine job
slicing veneers and dry wood, it doesn't seen to care for green, wet
Cherry wood much.

The "Woodslicer" has a minimal set on the teeth which is why it gives a
smooth cut. For green lumber a blade with a more pronounced set would
help avoid binding. I'd suggest giving Suffolk Machinery (Timberwolf
blades) a call, explain what you want to cut and see what they recommend.

Yea, I noticed that about the Woodslicer - but it was the widest blade
I had on hand. I made it into about 3 " of the log before I backed
out and came here to find another. The only other blades I have are
1/8" and 1/4" detail blades - and I wasn't about to try those.
Another thing about the WS is that it is only .022" thick.
Pretty thin for any green timber work.

The first place I went was Suffolk.
Looked at the 1/2 x 3AS .032 6.5 Alternate Set H & S 6-12 (Green)

I just wish someone around here stocked these blades.
I live in a huge Metro area, but I have to mail order everything!

Unless it's some junk at Wal-Mart, Target, or the BORGs. All these
stores carry the same freakin crap in different colored boxes...

Greg G.