On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 07:15:44 -0400, "George" george@least wrote:

Use a "tea" made from one of the traditional tanbarks like oak, elm or
hemlock for a higher tannin content.

I live in a desert. we don't have those here G. I'd have to go buy
them.... from somewhere...

at the chinese grocery store I can buy black tea in bulk cheap.

I imagine the process of penetration
is self-limiting, in that the areas adsorbing the moisture expand, blocking
the passage of further moisture.

sounds right. that's what I was after with the vacuum pump question.
seems like it would probably work to pull a vacuum on the wood while
it's in the solution to force it into the pores. suck the air out of
the wood and allow the liquid to replace it....

Or - http://www.labdepotinc.com/chemical_...pid~T1013.aspx

Try the India ink or Rit dye methods?

not yet....