Frank McVey

Elderberry has a fairly soft outer bark surrounding very soft pith. It
issn't really a tree - more a large shrub. People use it for making
whistles, flutes etc, because the pith seems to die away in older wood,
leaving a hollow stem. I don't think it would be much use for turning.

The berries make good wine though! hic

Cheers

Frank

"Mark Fitzsimmons" wrote in message
I have the option of taking an elderberry tree trunk, which is at least a
foot in diameter, which I think is rare for this species. Does anyone have
pictures of the wood, or experience turning it? Google searches just bring
up mentions of indian rattles and flutes but no pictures. Many say the
wood
is white or yellow, but they could be mostly referring to bushes, not
large
trees.

---