Bob Darrah

I still think you should cut it up into pieces for turning. Paint a number
on each piece and take a picture. Then wax the end grain and store it. Then
put the pictures on Ebay a few at a time. Tell when it was cut and waxed and
if there are any flaws. Price a bit under what the going rate on Ebay and
add a "Buy it now" price and take bids. You will sell it over time for a lot
more than you could get right now. It might take a while to sell it all but
it will be extra money for gas if nothing else. And those that want to buy
it off Ebay will be rewarded with nice walnut.

Let me know when you have some on there and I'll bid on it. I like green
walnut to turn. And there are a lot like me. I'm going to be in VA and North
Carolina for Thanksgiving. Lets get together and I'll take some home with
me.

Bob Darrah
West Linn, Oregon

West Linn, Oregon.

"Ken Moon" wrote in message
ink.net...
Current conditions may have a big effect on the value of your log. From
the
pictures I've seen, your local market is going to be flooded (no pun
intended) with low/no cost trees for mills for quite a while. Big trees
have
been blown down on all sides of you, and every one is going to be trying
get rid of them, so the price may be near "give away" unless you can
preserve or process the tree right away, then wait for the market to
stabilize again. We have a similar situation here on a smaller scale after
every big tornado.

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX
======================
"Bill Rubenstein" wrote in message
. net...
I'm afraid that the log most likely has little value. Those prices which

have been quoted
are for kiln dried, highly-figured wood at small quantity retail.

Also, since we are talking about one tree, it is hard to justify getting

any logging
equipment to it.

Further, if it is in a residential area (it sounds as if it is) than it
is

almost certain to
have metal in it which can take out several expensive blades on a mill.

If you wnat the wood, the suggestion of finding somebody with a portable

mill is a good one.
They may charge you per board foot or may take some of the wood as

payment. Another
possibility is to have a turner work it up into bowl blanks and (s)he

would probably give you
several as keepsakes.

Once the tree is down, though, deterioration begins immediately. You
need

to decide how to
deal with it because 6 months from now it will most likely be firewoos at

best.

I used to be in the business and after every major storm we would get

calls about buying
downed trees. The only one we ever bought under these conditions was a

walnut which was 36"
in diameter at 5' off the ground with a long clear log and a beautiful

crotch with no bark
inclusions.

Bill