CJ

Again, thank you to all who responded.
I understand that underneath is a sub-floor, so, the pitchfork suggestion
definitely sounds like a worthy tool to try in this situation (although, I
would think that taking pictures of the person(s) with pitchfork in hand
during this removal process would be called for........Maybe even a warning
sign would be good safety procedure too.....Beware! Pitchfork in use in a
bedroom!).

Yea, I kinda thought that steaming the carpet and glue might cause a
problem.......if it were to go wrong with the glue re-liquifying,........it
might make a good "I Love Lucy" episode though!!!

CJ

"David Gale" wrote in message
"CJ" wrote:
What is the best way to remove carpet that has been glued down in a

bedroom?

The house our daughter is purchasing has this glued carpet in one of the
bedrooms.

From the description, it's possibly an indoor/outdoor carpet or an
industrial type carpet rather than plush.

As others have said, it depends on how strongly it's glued down, and also
what the floor underneath is like (as this determines how aggressive you
need to be).

The house I just bought had carpetting in all the rooms (except for the
bathroom); luckily, it was only glued down in two of them. In one

bedroom,
it was very easy to tear off, though a lot of residue was left behind (on

hardwood floor, so I haven't been too aggressive in scraping/cleaning it
yet); in the other, the carpet was cemented to linoleum, which was

cemented
to the plywood underneath. I ended up wedging a garden pitchfork in under
the carpet and rocking it, using the leverage to break everything free.
After the carpet (taking most of the linoleum with it) was gone, I went

back
through with scrapers to get rid of the remaining glue. Tearing the

carpet
out by myself took a couple of hours; two of us were able to finish

scraping
in a couple more.

I don't think I'd recommend steaming the carpet--if the glue re-liquified,
and then got all over you, it could be a royal pain, given how stongly it
was adhering to my kitchen floor.

-D.