MGA

Dear all,

Thanks so much for your answers!
In summary, these are the possible solutions suggested and what I think
about them:

1- Use metal brackets: sounds easy, cheap and fast.
2- Use thinner studs and work around the piers: sounds easy and cheap too,
but it leaves the problem of the wall not been flat. I want to put some of
the old kitchen units in there so it may be a problem.
3- Bury screws into studs: easy but not that fast. I guess brackets is as
good solution to get a solid structure in place?
4- Free-standing frame: I would prefer other options before if only because
it's more work! It would also take more space.
5- Build an inner block wall: wouldn't I have to reinforce the foundations
for this? working with timber is more or less ok (I've finished now the
roof, and it wasn't that complicated), but with this I wouldn't know where
to start to be honest.
6- No more nails... that would be excellent wouldn't it?

I was planning in doing the work tomorrow but it seems like I'll have to do
something else (the partition wall?) and give this a bit more thinking to
choose the right option...

Thanks again for your time!!!

MGA

ps: thanks also for your patient when reading my posts. As you're probably
aware by now English is not my first language: I'm from Spain but living in
sunny Hertfordshire

"MGA" wrote in message
Dear all,
as part of my garage conversion I have been asked by the building control
officer to fix studs to the wall, add insulation, a vapour barrier and
plasterboard. It's a single brick wall and it has piers every 1.5 meters
more or less. That means that I need to get quite deep studs to provide an
even surface for the plasterboard. I have the battens ready, they are 15
by
5 centimetres, but being so deep, what is the best way to fix them to the
wall?

I can't just screw them because I can't find screws long enough. I've
thought about fixing thinner studs to the wall horizontally and them skew
nail the studs to them vertically. Another option would be to fix them
using
some kind of metal brackets.

What is the best way to do this?

Thanks in advance!