mark

In message , G&M
writes
Not quite - under contract law if somebody doesn't complete the work, you
pay them for the work done less the cost of finding somebody to complete
that work - i.e. not the new worker's charges but your expenses in finding
that person.

However I'd still not pay him and tell him to sue you. Also ask the new
plumber for an opinion on the quality of work of the first guy. Any hint of
poor workmanship and he'd be best to stay quiet.

Hmm. That was my understanding also.
I've wasted several hours hanging about on site, whilst I could have
been better occupied elsewhere; just fiddling really.
Rest assured these hours will be itemised in the deduction sheet I will
be applying to his fully itemised invoice for work done so far.
Be interesting to see how organised he can be when there's money
involved.
FYI the quote was for 4.5k ( I supplied the boiler, unvented cylinder
and bathroom suites) and he has received 2k already so there is 2.5k in
the kitty as far as I am concerned to pay the new plumber. He will be
paid on a time and materials basis out of the remainder of the work.
I look forward to informing the original plumber of this arrangement.
--
mark