Gerald Ross

Mark Fitzsimmons wrote:

I have the option of taking an elderberry tree trunk, which is at least a
foot in diameter, which I think is rare for this species. Does anyone have
pictures of the wood, or experience turning it? Google searches just bring
up mentions of indian rattles and flutes but no pictures. Many say the wood
is white or yellow, but they could be mostly referring to bushes, not large
trees.

Never saw one more than a few inches. AFAIK the ones we have are always
hollow. We used to cut one about 1 1/2 inches in diameter and make a
piston to fit the hollow and use it to shoot chinaberries. It made a
pleasant "pop" and would shoot it a good distance. The local name was
popgun elder. Today I got some Eucalyptus about 15 inches diameter. The
heartwood is very nice.

--

Gerald Ross, Cochran, GA
To reply add the numerals "13" before the "at"