dave

"Mungo \"two sheds\" Toadfoot" wrote in message ...
raden wrote:
In message , "Mungo \"two sheds\"
Toadfoot" writes
I've got a New World Royale 600 gas cooker with a self-lighting oven
- you turn the gas on and the sparker clicks away until the oven
lights. First, how's it do that then?

Mirrors and magic Si

As they say, keep up at t'back

Just the same as ignition circuits in central heating boilers (which
must get discussed at least once a month)

Shaddup

, a flame acts like a
resistive diode, which is what the flame sense circuit senses

Second, it only works when it feels like it - about 7 times in 10.
Any idea why?

Electrode not properly in the flame, intermittent contact on the HT
lead, bad earthing, gremlins just out to get you.

It's all clever stuff, innit? It's stopped working completely now, btw. It
*is* gremlins!

Si

My brother just bought a s/h cannon which has the same problem. I his
case I think it was caused by dampness left from when his girlfriend
cleaned it to within an inch of its life. Out of the 3 ignitors that
weren't working I only managed to get two to work. I wiped the leads
to remove some of the dampness, cleaned the electrode abd cheated a
little by moving the earth rod(? thing it sparks too) over a little
closer to the electrode. For him ,I think whatever generates the spark
will have to be changed in order to make it completely reliable.