Lobster

"MGA" wrote in message ...

as part of my garage conversion I have been asked by the building control
officer to fix studs to the wall, add insulation, a vapour barrier and
plasterboard. It's a single brick wall and it has piers every 1.5 meters
more or less. That means that I need to get quite deep studs to provide an
even surface for the plasterboard. I have the battens ready, they are 15 by
5 centimetres, but being so deep, what is the best way to fix them to the
wall?

I can't just screw them because I can't find screws long enough. I've
thought about fixing thinner studs to the wall horizontally and them skew
nail the studs to them vertically. Another option would be to fix them using
some kind of metal brackets.

What is the best way to do this?

If I've understood your configuration properly, then what you need to
do is 'bury' the screws within the joists. By which I mean, first
drill a clearance hole for the screw right through the joist (15cm),
large enough for the screw shaft, but not the head. Now fit another
bit, which will drill a hole just large enough for the screw head to
pass through. Now over-drill the original hole in the joist, but stop
short of boring right through (say, 10cm deep?) Now you can drop your
screw down the hole, and all but 5cm will protrude from the
bottom/back of the joist, and you can access the screw head with a
screwdriver down the overbored hole.

It's still best to use screws as long as you can obtain, and keep the
overbored hole to a minimum, as that's mechanically most most sound.

David