Cicero

"MGA" wrote in message
Dear all,
as part of my garage conversion I have been asked by the building control
officer to fix studs to the wall, add insulation, a vapour barrier and
plasterboard. It's a single brick wall and it has piers every 1.5 meters
more or less. That means that I need to get quite deep studs to provide an
even surface for the plasterboard. I have the battens ready, they are 15

by
5 centimetres, but being so deep, what is the best way to fix them to the
wall?

I can't just screw them because I can't find screws long enough. I've
thought about fixing thinner studs to the wall horizontally and them skew
nail the studs to them vertically. Another option would be to fix them

using
some kind of metal brackets.

What is the best way to do this?

Thanks in advance!

MGA

If you can be bothered to do it......

Drill countersinks with a 1" brace and bit (or spade bit in normal power
drill) to a depth of about 4" followed by smaller holes to take size 10s
screws . Then use 4" screws into normal wall plugs.

It's a bit tedious but it will do the job as if you were fixing 2" x 2"
battens.

Cic.