"Roger" wrote in message
news:LZ07d.150542$D%.6085@attbi_s51...

"not Steve Buscemi" wrote in message
wsgroups.com...
Hello all,
I have a chance to buy a used wood burning insert for my fireplace. I
don't
use my fireplace much but thought that if this thing puts out some heat
it
may be worthwhile. How much more efficient than regular fireplaces are
the
inserts in heat output?
Anybody have any reccomendations or experiences they'd like to share.

Regular fireplaces are often net heat losers - it only feels warm near the
fire, but sucks in cold air from all your house door and window leaks.
Inserts with proper circ. fans can be quite efficient, and can actually
warm rooms and houses, unlike conventional fireplaces with unlimited fresh
air draft. Check that the used unit is not cracked, a not uncommon reason
for selling, and a separate flue liner up the chimney may be required, as
well. Also, consider a freestanding woodstove that sits on the hearth. We
have a freestanding woodstove with its own stack, and it is a great
heater, very small, but rated at 43000 btu. And check your local codes.
Some insert models are ok, some don't pass EPA pollution requirements for
local areas.
I know this answer muddies the water, but there are so many variables!
Another excellent resouce for woodstoves and inserts, in general, is
newsgroup: alt.energy.homepower

Could you name the brand of stove you have ?
We have 2 fireplaces in the house, basement and living room.
We are looking at putting a gas replacement in the living room.
But I would like to replaces the 50+ year-old fireplace with something that
could heat the place durring an emergence, and maybe even double as a stove
top if necessary.

What you descrbe sounds very interesting.