Pete C

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 22:43:54 GMT, "Dorothy Bradbury"
wrote:

Frankly I think the future will be:
o Verify it's a 2-PVC-Ring linked by 1-Butyl radial
---- then disconnect that radial at both ends
---- and use the 2-PVC-ring thro that landing skt
o Replace that 1ft butyl radial to living room skt
---- combined that removes 2 of the 3 butyl rubber cables

The living room skt 1ft should be a 3-min change, but everyone runs:
o CU is other side of the wall, displaced 12" horizontally
o Cable runs 12" thro a 1-brick-wall into alcove before the fireplace
o 3-5" into the alcove it goes thro the wall (behind quarry tile I guess) to skt
o Above the skirting-board skt is a skirting-board chromed gas pipe to the fire

Measured the skt to living room door & same the other side re position,
then measured the alcove depth v total fireplace depth - 10" = double-brick.

Electricians mumble "it's not straight thro", or "there's a chimney cavity",
but the floor is solid, and there's no bermuda triangle here. Then again I'm
not so sure IEE 16th onsite would like a new cable behind quarry tile skirting,
tho some 25x25mm galvanised may change that (over head or on skirting :-)

Since we don't know which, it's wait for the RCD to trip again & discriminate.
Historically, it hasn't and that is why the cables never got done.

Nuisance trips, then someone looks at it, then it never comes back.
I think Butyl suffers insulation creep? All springy but "ductile" stuff. Rubber :-)

Hi,

If the butyl is buried in plaster/stone and there is nothing flammable
nearby you could run a separate earth wire instead of using the one in
the butyl. This is almost certainly Frowned Upon though it would
confirm the problem is in the butyl wire.

As far as running a new T&E wire goes, it could go the least risky way
rather than the most direct way.

cheers,
Pete.