Jonathan Mau

"not Steve Buscemi" ) writes:
Hello all,
I have a chance to buy a used wood burning insert for my fireplace. I don't
use my fireplace much but thought that if this thing puts out some heat it
may be worthwhile. How much more efficient than regular fireplaces are the
inserts in heat output?
Anybody have any reccomendations or experiences they'd like to share.
Kudos

We got a Regency model I2400M with fan. We have not lived in this house a
whole winter, but with use at Christmas and March break I know it heats
this house down to at least -15C. My belief is that the fan is quite
necessary, otherwise the heat has a hard time getting into the house with
only one exposed face. Leaving the fan off in spring/fall might be an
advantage so that the fireplace can be hot enough without overheating the
house.

We also have a wood/oil furnace which
is not EPA that uses more wood and leaks smoke into the house when the
door opens. It will still be necessary to use it on the coldest days, but
it will be run full out when in use so smoking will be minimal.

All in all we are happy so far and I expect to use about 1/3 to 1/2 as
much wood as was used in the wood furnace. Plus I get to watch the flames
dance when I am reading the paper.

Jonathan