got_one

On 28 Sep 2004 20:12:16 -0700, (Lance) wrote:

Sony KV-27EXR25
Started out having an annoying issue where when displaying a Bright
Image (lots of white in the picture) the screen would "neck in" in the
middle of the screen, almost like adding severe pincushion.

Annoying but dealt with it..

Now it has the a blanking issue where the picture will not come up for
5-10 minutes after being turned on. When it does come in, it blinks
in top/bottom half of the picture for 20-40 seconds then finally locks
in. Occasionally I notice on quick picture changes, the screen will
drop out for a second. But then comes right back. Still has the
pincushion issue though.

Any good ideas / URL to an FAQ? I'm good with electronics but never
worked on TVs.

Thanks!
Lance

A couple of things i've heard with the kv-27exr25:

pincushion issue may be a bad pin return coil, supposedly a common
problem. Bad news, if you let it go it screws up other things (pin
amp circuits).

Other common problem is the STR-S6301 voltage regulator. Replacing it
may solve a lot of problems.

Since they're about 13 years old, it may be a good time to get a new
TV. 27" models are flat screen, component video input, and cheap
these days.

Not sure what sony service centers charge to fix a TV these days.

Anyone know what a pin return coil repair would cost ?