Ian Clowes

Default Plastering onto steel

(Frank Z) wrote in message ...

I need to plaster over a steel lintel over an open fore recess.

Hi

Is this a flat face, or the concave face of an I-beam?

If the latter a standardish way of fixing would be to knock slightly
tapered wooden wedges in to the concave face. You could then mount a
couple of wooden battens across this in a way that allowed them to
'float' a little. Tack plasterboard or mesh over these battens and
plaster. The metal should then be able to shift a little without
stressing the plaster face.

If you really only have a 6mm depth from surrounding plaster to this
metal then I'd think about finishing the edges nicely and using
Smoothrite in some suitable colour to finish it off.

You could also build a panel of wood, either decorated around the
edges with mouldings or rounded off and loosely mount that using
keyhole type slots/hangers. Or make a 'feature' and hang old fireware
(pokers, pans, etc.) to disguise it. Depends a bit on what your aim
is.

Final suggestion: Fire cement render?

HTH
IanC