Michael Mcneil

"MGA" wrote in message

Dear all,
as part of my garage conversion I have been asked by the building control
officer to fix studs to the wall, add insulation, a vapour barrier and
plasterboard. It's a single brick wall and it has piers every 1.5 meters
more or less. That means that I need to get quite deep studs to provide an
even surface for the plasterboard. I have the battens ready, they are 15 by
5 centimetres, but being so deep, what is the best way to fix them to the
wall?

Take them back and exchange them for 2 x 2s. 3 x 2 is the maximum or the
BCO is a tit. You don't need to come out to the piers just insulate the
thin bit.

If he insists you do the piers too follow them round with 2x2. 4 x 2 is
well ott in my humble. If you want to go ahead anyway, just make them
into frames with a top and bottom bit and screw them to the piers. That
way you are only going through the thin bit. Make the frames an 1/2
small and use packers, that way you won't be struggling to get them in.

Brown plugs and 3" screws; et vwallah.